Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lubricating Locks and Key Cylinders

People often ask if graphite is the proper lubricant to use in a lock.  Well, I hesitate to say any lubricant is not proper; but graphite does have a tendency to build up in the key cylinder over time.  Given the choice of lubricants, I would say that, yes, graphite is okay.

Many people will disagree with me when I say that, after 24 years as a locksmith, I still prefer to use WD-40.  Can you believe it?  You can spray the key hole, the latches and bolts, and the hinges.  WD-40 is especially good when you shut you door and the latch bounces off of the strike without locking.  Just shoot a squirt into the latch and you are ready to go.  Because WD-40 is a petroleum product, it will tend to attract some dust and thicken over time.  If this happens, you can shoot some more into the lock.  This build-up, however, will take quite a while.  I would go so far to say that the oil used by Kwikset in their locks is worse.

What about these so-called lubricants that use Teflon or silicon?  These are often sold as dry lubes or fast-drying lubricants.  One such product is Tri-Flow.  In all my years of experience, I have learned that these lubricants do not hold up over even a small amount of time.  Not only are they quite expensive, bu they are third-rate as well.  I quit using them.

If you need a lock and related hardware lubricant, WD-40 is still the way to go.  Is it perfect?  No.  But it is still better than anything else out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment