If you have a Kwikset deadbolt, a spinning means
- The part of the the tailpiece where it is attached to the deadbolt and held on by the clip, has shattered.
- The clip that holds the tailpiece on has shattered.
- The clip has just come off slightly
If you have a Callin deadbolt, s spinning cylinder means
- The deadbolt mechanism that retracts and inserts the actual bolt may have shattered. In this case, the thumb turn or key will travel a partial distance without affecting the bolt.
- The tailpiece, which is held on by a threaded nut, has shattered.
The newer Schlage deadbolts do not appear to me to be having any problems. The tailpieces on these deadbolts are held onto the deadbolt be threaded nut. In the event there is breakage, call you local locksmith or better hardware store. Sometimes hardware stores have a parts box that may have the piece you are looking for.